Everything New in Chrome 102
If you feel like you’re constantly being asked to update Chrome, you’re right . Google is constantly releasing new updates to its web browser, usually to fix new security vulnerabilities as they are discovered. With this latest update, you actually get fixes for 32 such flaws , as well as some cool and useful new features – all of which make upgrading to Chrome 102 a breeze.
While we see individual security patches being released as needed, Google tends to update Chrome like clockwork every four weeks. The latest version, Chrome 101 , launched on April 26, with minor changes to the user interface and the ability to add notes to entries in Chrome’s password manager. While 102 isn’t a full-featured update, it definitely has more going on than 101.
Keyboard shortcut for managing tabs
After updating to Chrome 102, you will be able to move the active tab using a keyboard shortcut without having to drag the tab with the cursor. To rearrange a tab, hold down Control+Shift+Page Up or Page Down. If your keyboard does not have Page Up or Page Down keys, you will probably have to use Fn + Up or Down.
Opening files through web applications
Chrome 102 has two new web app features. The first is the ability of web applications to open files on your computer if the developer has programmed them to do so. For example, a web application might allow you to click on an element, which then launches the file in your word processor.
Web Applications Shouldn’t Reload That Frequently
When using web applications, it is common for the entire application to reload when switching pages. Chrome 102 should limit this behavior by making it easier for web apps to navigate between pages without having to refresh.
Learn more about new stores (in testing)
Google is testing a new Chrome feature in version 102: When you first visit a store’s website, a pop-up appears asking if you’d like to learn more about the store, such as posting reviews of that store on Google. To check if this feature works on your side, enable its flag in chrome://flags/#page-info-about-this-site .
Managing a presentation from a separate tab (demo)
This update is great for those of us who frequently use slideshows during video calls. Soon everyone will be able to manage slides without actually opening the slideshow tab. This will allow you to open the video call tab and see your audience instead of completely focusing on the presentation you probably know by heart. This feature is currently in demo mode, so if you’d like to try it out, visit this interactive site to learn more .
Security patches for 32 vulnerabilities
The most important aspect of this update is that it fixes 32 security vulnerabilities that existed in earlier versions. Of these, one is rated “critical” and eight are rated “high.” While the rest are rated “medium” and “low” and none of the vulnerabilities appear to have been exploited by hackers, it’s important to secure your browser now that these vulnerabilities are public knowledge.
Here are nine critical and high-rated vulnerabilities that will be fixed in this update:
- Critical CVE-2022-1853: Use after release in an indexed database. Reported by Anonymous on May 12, 2022.
- High CVE-2022-1854: Use after free in ANGLE. This was announced by Sunghwan Park (SeHwa) on April 27, 2022.
- High CVE-2022-1855: use after free messaging. Reported by Anonymous on July 13, 2021.
- High CVE-2022-1856: Use after free user training. Reported by Nan Wang (@eternalsakura13) and Guang Gong of 360 Alpha Lab on May 06, 2022
- High CVE-2022-1857: Insufficient policing in the file system API. Reported by Daniel Rhea on July 11, 2021.
- CVE-2022-1858 High : Out of bounds read in DevTools. EllisVlad reported this on 2022-04-07
- High CVE-2022-1859: Use when released in Performance Manager. Reported by Guannan Wang (@Keenan7310) of Tencent Security Xuanwu Lab on May 5, 2022.
- High CVE-2022-1860: Use after Free Use in Basic UI. Reported by @ginggilBesel on February 15, 2022.
- High CVE-2022-1861: Use after free public access. This was reported by Khalil Zhani on April 16, 2022.
The full list of fixes for Chrome 102 can be found on the Google Chrome Releases Blog . These fixes apply to all Chromium-based browsers, including Edge, Brave, and Opera, so update any of those browsers if you use them.
How to update Chrome to version 102
To update Chrome, click on the three dots in the top right corner, hover over “Help” and select “About Google Chrome”. Allow Chrome to check for new updates: if available, click Restart. When Chrome restarts, it should be running version 102.
[ Like a Geek ]