How Much Does Jumbotron Actually Cost to Offer (and the Best Ways to Spend That Money)
I’m not here to stop you from proposing to your love at the Jumbotron this summer. If you dream of asking your partner to spend the rest of your lives together in front of 40,000 people who share your fandom ( or 3,000 if you’re an Oakland A fan ), I would never stop you.
I’m only here to offer a few friendly alternatives to other ways to spend this money, provided you can hear them. I promise this has nothing to do with my general distaste for grandiose public gestures and comes purely from financial literacy. After all, you’re about to get engaged! This is not the time to waste your hard-earned money willy-nilly. You have to plan a big and expensive party.
Before I tell you how best to spend your public offering cash, let’s find out how much it costs to rent a jumbotron at various stadiums ( according to Swimly).
Low level stadiums (less than $100)
- Pittsburgh Pirates (PNC Park): $39
- Atlanta Braves (Truist Park): $50
- Cincinnati Reds (large American baseball stadium): $50.
- Colorado Rockies (Course Field): $50.
- Chicago White Sox (guaranteed rate field): $55.
- San Diego Padres (Petco Park): $55.
- Detroit Tigers (Comerica Park): $75
- Oakland Athletics (RingCentral Coliseum): $85
Mid-level stadiums ($100-$250)
- New York Yankees (Yankee Stadium): $100.
- Seattle Mariners (Safeco Field): $115
- Chicago Cubs (Wrigley Field): $175
- San Francisco Giants (AT&T Park): $175
- Texas Rangers (Globe Life Park in Arlington): $200.
- Minnesota Twins (Target Field): $209
- Arizona Diamondbacks (Chase Field): $250
High Level Stadiums ($250+)
- Boston Red Sox (Fenway Park): $350
- Cleveland Indians (Progressive Field): $400
- Philadelphia Phillies (Citizens Bank Park): $450
- Houston Astros (Minute Maid Park): $500
- Miami Marlins (Marlins Park): $500
- St. Louis Cardinals (Bush Stadium): $500
- Tampa Bay Rays (Tropicana Field): $500
- Washington Nationals (National Park): $1,500.
- Los Angeles Dodgers (Dodger Stadium): $2,500
Do not allow suggestions
- Toronto Blue Jays (Rogers Center)
- Los Angeles Angels (Angels Stadium in Anaheim)
- Kansas City Royals (Kaufman Stadium)
- Baltimore Orioles (Camden Yards)
- New York Mets (CitiField)
My immediate reaction is to take my hat off to the five MLB teams that have drawn a line in the sand and refuse to help and encourage public displays of affection. Secondly, it surprises me how much the offer price of a jumbotron can vary from stadium to stadium. Really, the Pittsburgh Pirates? $39 to propose on your Jumbotron? I know you’re struggling to get people into the stadium, but there has to be a better way.
Now that we’ve had time to digest this information, let’s talk about alternatives. If you are getting married, you are probably going to get married. And with a wedding comes all sorts of expenses, big and small. Here are some costs you can avoid if you decide to reallocate your proposal budget to the wedding budget.
Low wedding expenses (less than $100)
Cost of a mid-level wedding (100-250 USD)
High Level Wedding Cost ($250+)
Doesn’t seeing it all laid out in front of you make you think twice about the financial viability of the jumbotron offer? Remember, I just want to help you make a financially sound decision. I do it for you.
What if you have a lot of money but are still determined to propose to your partner on the big screen? Please be 100% sure they will say yes. Because you can’t put a price tag on recovering from public humiliation. At least, except for the therapy bills.