How and Why to Update a Sonos Setup to ‘S2’
Sonos is launching a new controller app known as the S2 Controller app, and while many users will need it to get feature updates or integrate future Sonos products into their settings, it hasn’t completely replaced the old Sonos controller app yet. It’s now an S1 Controller app – and there are a few more times you might need to use it.
What’s the difference between the Sonos Controller S1 and S2 apps?
Both S1 and S2 controller apps are used to control Sonos-branded speakers, soundbars, amplifiers, and receivers from a mobile device or PC. Some Sonos devices will only work with one of the two apps, but most are compatible with both (at least for now). The only devices that currently require the S2 app are:
- Sonos Arc Dolby Atmos Soundbar
- Sonos Five speakers
- 3rd generation Sonos subwoofer
For older devices, here is a diagram that shows which devices already support S2 and which only support S1:
Please note that you can use the S1 and S2 speakers in the same home, but they cannot be connected together and you will have to use separate apps to control them. Here’s more information on how it works from the Sonos support page . Again, all the S1 devices in the table can give you credit for new Sonos stuff if you take advantage of the company’s exchange program .
Should you upgrade to S2?
Probably. While many Sonos products support both apps, the S2 app will be a requirement for all new Sonos devices from May 2020, and you will need to update the S2 app to receive new feature updates on your devices. The S1 app and S1-only devices are still working, but they won’t get any new features and will only be patched with necessary security / bug fixes and support for new music streaming apps for a few more years.
So, unless you’re rocking older hardware that only works with the S1 app, you should probably update the Sonos controller app if you want to keep getting new feature updates and keep your setup compatible with future devices.
How to update the Sonos Controller app
If you’ve used the Sonos Controller app before:
- Open the Sonos app on your Android, iOS, or iPadOS device.
- Click on the Update notification to start downloading the new version of the application and installing fixes for your devices.
- The rest of the update will happen automatically and will save and import any settings or presets you saved from the S1 controller app.
If you have not used the S1 Controller app yet or the update notification is not displayed:
- Download the new Sonos app from Google Play (Android) or App Store (iOS / iPadOS) . (Versions for Windows and macOS are reportedly in development as well.)
- Use the app to connect and set up speakers and other devices.