Everything You Need to Know About Today’s MacOS 10.15.5 Update
The macOS 10.15.5 update is rolling out computers this week, bringing several new features and tweaks, including a long-awaited feature that should help keep your MacBook battery healthier.
Before we move on to what’s new in macOS 10.15.5, download the update by choosing Apple menu> System Preferences> Software Update and clicking Update Now if a new version is available. Some devices and regions may not have it yet. Just keep checking; it should be arriving soon for all users.
So here’s everything new in macOS 10.15.5 update.
Best Battery Health Management for MacBook
Battery management is a feature of macOS 10.15.5. When enabled, your MacBook software will monitor battery usage and charging speed and adjust it as needed to maintain the chemical integrity of the battery. You may notice a shorter maximum battery life when using the Battery Management setting even after your MacBook is fully charged, but a short beep should help slow down the natural wear and tear of the battery and extend its life. Please note that this feature is only available on newer MacBooks with Thunderbolt 3 .
Check out our guide to managing the battery health of your MacBook for more information, including how to turn it on and off, and other tips for conserving your device’s battery life.
Calibration Fine Tuning for Pro Display XDR
You can now make fine adjustments to the white-point and brightness calibration settings for Apple Pro Display XDRs. Chances are, most of you don’t have any of these over $ 5,000 displays .
FaceTime Prominence preference
You can now choose to keep the tiled layout of the video in group FaceTime calls instead of having the app dynamically resize when someone speaks. This can be changed in the settings for the FaceTime app.
- Addresses an issue that may prevent recurring reminder notification reminders from being sent.
- Addresses an issue that may prevent you from entering your password on the login screen.
- Addresses an issue that still causes a notification icon in system settings even after installing an update.
- Addresses an issue where the built-in camera may not be detected when trying to use it after using a video conferencing application.
- Addresses an issue for Mac computers with the Apple T2 Security Chip that might prevent internal speakers from appearing as an audio output device in audio settings.
- Addressed a stability issue with uploading and downloading media from iCloud Photo Library while your Mac is sleeping.
- Addresses stability issue when transferring large amounts of data to RAID volumes.
- Addressed issue where the Reduce Motion Availability preference did not reduce the animation speed in a Group FaceTime call.