How to Fold a Stretched Sheet Into a Nice Flat Rectangle
Folding is a huge pain, but fitted sheets are a category in their own right. These round elastic “corners” never match, and even if you manage to make one side of the sheets semi-flat, the other side will inevitably bunch together. Fortunately, there is a method that actually works.
To turn the sheet into a nice flat rectangle, all the corners must be folded into each other. Observe:
Watch the video from YouTube user Hisgirl777 for a better demo, but here are the steps:
1. Remove the warm sheet from the dryer (to reduce wrinkles) and shake.
2. Lay the sheet with the long side facing you (across your body).
3. Insert your fingers into the lower left corner.
4. Take the opposite corner directly above it and pull the corner in your hand.
5. Repeat on the right side: place your right hand in the lower right corner, then pull on the opposite corner. You will now be holding the corners in each hand.
6. Rotate the corners in your left hand over the corners you hold in your right. All four corners will now be on the right hand.
7. Lay down this new square and flatten it out.
8. Align the corners as best as possible.
9. Fold into rectangles.
When you’re done, you might not even notice that this is a fitted sheet. Now you don’t have to shove clumps of fitted sheets into your closet or drawers – and it’ll likely save you precious storage space.
This story was originally published in 2011 and was updated on 11/21/19 to provide more complete and up-to-date information.