How to Buy Sex Toys Online Safely and Discreetly
Sex toys have lost much of their brand in the world after fifty shades , but those looking for a good vibrator or cock ring may still have trouble finding one at Walmart. Luckily, there are plenty of great websites offering a wide variety of adult toys, and they tend to be delivered discreetly – not that it’s embarrassing to buy sex toys! Either way, here’s how to buy them.
Check for toxic materials before (and after) purchase
The first thing to remember when shopping online is that there are certain types of materials to avoid when shopping for toys that you plan on placing on or inside sensitive areas of your body. While there are many internet sites that do legitimate business, there are not many rules about which chemicals can and should not be used in adult toys, which means that even trusted sites can sell “novelties.” that are harmful to your body.
Reddit user RubyRyder has a much more comprehensive guide here , but in short, try to avoid PVC toys that contain phthalates. Phthalates can be very harmful to your health, especially if used over a long period of time. In some cases, non-toxic plastic can be obtained, but silicone, metal, or glass toys are ideal. It might be a little more expensive, but it’s worth it in the long run.
When it comes to identifying toys of questionable toxicity, RubyRyder suggests taking odor into account (if you shop online, you should definitely double-check your items when you receive them). PVC toys have and retain a strong chemical odor. Translucent or translucent toys are also more likely to be made of unhealthy plastic.
Find Safe Online Stores
Not all online stores are the same. Once you’ve narrowed down your purchases and are confident that they are made from safe, non-toxic materials, you will still need to find a reputable store. Fortunately, the Internet has been around long enough for several leaders to become reliable, secure, and stealthy. Please note that all of the following sites contain NSFW style images:
- Adam & Eve – One of the largest and most respected online retailers, Adam & Eve, offers a pretty good selection of both sex toys and lingerie. Most notably, the company also hasretail stores in 19 US states, one in Canada and one in Lima, Peru.
- Babeland is another trusted site, Babeland, which also has guides, tips, and educational materials to get you familiar with the types of products you buy as well as general information about sexual health.
- EdenFantasys – EdenFantasys is another well-established site that promises discreet and fast delivery. The site also has video reviews (not of this kind) of many of the most popular products.
- Extreme Limitations – This site shares many similarities with other sites on this list, including confidential delivery and a long reputation as a reliable site. However, where Extreme Restraints stand out is in more eclectic fetish items. If you can’t find what you’re looking for on other sites on this list, this might be the one for you.
- Agent Provocateur – Agent Provocateur offers a very high class experience. The store is definitely not the cheapest source (and in fact even some of the simplest toys or lingerie sets are not reasonably priced), but there are certainly a few items that are well within your average budget. Even if you don’t buy, this is a good site to browse with a partner.
The list doesn’t end there either. If you’re looking for more options, you can try Pure Romance , TooTimid , Liberator, or Amazing.net . It’s also worth noting that Amazon has a pretty good selection of adult toys and accessories . The only downside to this (as we’ll discuss below) is that since Amazon hosts both in-house and third-party sellers, it can be a bit tricky to define their discretionary shipping policies. You can also skip some of the deals or coupons that small retailers usually offer to attract customers. Not to mention, sex toys that you might prefer to avoid will appear in your order history and offers. That being said, it can be well worth it for Prime users or Amazon cardholders.
Define a confidential shipping policy
Even the most comfortable and open-minded person probably won’t want to have a box on the doorstep with the words “Bob’s Funtime Sexeteria and Dildo Emporium” written in big letters. Fortunately, most major stores are aware of this and offer confidential delivery.
Once you find the stated policy, it doesn’t hurt to check it against customer reviews or testimonials. Amazon, for example, is usually good at discreet delivery, but sometimes a plug or two can slip through the cracks . While these reviews can be helpful in identifying stores that don’t always adhere to their policies, they also highlight a simple truth: you take risks no matter what you do. If you want to ensure that no one sees it, you can always set up an inbox, but otherwise, you can just share slightly awkward looks with your roommate.
However, there are also worse fates.
This story was originally published on April 3, 2014 and was updated on September 25, September 19 with new photos and to reflect current links and information.