Top Burning Man Travel Tips From Our Readers
This week, Hack Your City went to Black Rock City, a seasonal settlement that fills up every August for Burning Man. Readers gave tips on how to survive the heat, dust, and sensory overload. To be honest, it sounds like real hell to me, but people seem to be having a good time there! Read all comments on the original post or pay attention to the highlights below.
- “Don’t overstate your expectations. A burn may or may not be life-changing (either not in the way you think, or as fast as you think, etc., etc.) and that’s okay. Sometimes a great party is just a great party “- dr_bombay
- “If you go there, have a complete change of clothes that you leave in the car. When you return to it, leave all the clothes with the burner outside the machine and put them in the trash bag. Seal it up. Dispose of wisely. You won’t want them anymore. ” – Treessimon
- “Wear loose clothing or as little as possible because sand and dust will accumulate in the elastic of your underwear and will chafe and drive you crazy” – jcn-txct
- “Consider visiting one of the smaller regional burns before heading to Black Rock. It’s great fun and a great way to learn about Principles, community, volunteering and more general things like what to bring with you. ” – PshNope
- “Whenever you leave camp, grab your scarf and dip it in the icy cool water for a few seconds, then put it over your head when you get on your bike. Instant conditioner. “- Mike F.
- “Traditionally, bring a bottle of whiskey or a pack or two PBRs for Team Gate. It’s always best to make the Gate family happy. ”- Blablava
- Bring apple cider vinegar for your hair. “It will wash away a lot of dust, dirt and grease,” says MB. when you don’t have enough shower water and shampoo.
- “Crisis Awareness Thursday night. By Thursday, this will be too much, and you will plunge into a puddle of over-excitement, fatigue and emotion. Be kind to yourself on Thursday. Take a little more nap, ”- melozonde.
- “Pickles are a blessing, especially on a hot day when you’ve washed all your electrolytes with sweat. Juice is also really good for the same reason. “- silveroracle
Thanks to all the experienced burners for their advice! All the best comments are presented in the “Staff” tab below the original post. (Comments “don’t go to Burning Man because I personally don’t like it” are not present on the Personnel tab, and we don’t understand why anyone wastes their lives writing them.) If you have any more Burning Man advice , comment below. And come back next week with Hack Your City heading to South Africa.