What “healthy” Substitutions Do You Really Like?
Hello and welcome back toWhat’s Cooking? , an open thread where you can share your brilliant thoughts, tips, recipes and opinions on all food related matters. This week I want to talk about the tweaks you make to make food a little more healthier, and substitutions and substitutions that didn’t quite work.
Food is fuel, but this fuel is only efficient if consumed. While it’s okay and good to suggest that you eat a thick piece of cauliflower instead of steak, the offer is devoid of joy, and I think joy is a pretty important part of eating (and life). However, there are a few useful swaps out there that aren’t as grim, and I’m sure you all know a few good ones. As always, I have questions:
- Fad diets and the like always lead to a lot of substitutions. Do you have a favorite subwoofer that you learned from diet or lifestyle changes? I haven’t tried the diet in over 10 years, but I love the fact that you can eat chicken wings on the Whole30 if you use ghee.
- For some reason, “substitution of products for cauliflower” is very popular. Do you have a kale that makes your mouth happy? I have yet to find a cauliflower pizza crust or “rice” that would not upset me, but I don’t mind the cauliflower potato puree and I really, truly love the buffalo cauliflower. (Not as much as I like Buffalo chicken wings, but it’s a very good bar snack.)
- What’s your favorite Pinterest exchange you’ve found online? I love frozen banana and cocoa powder ice cream. It looks like a banana topped with a chocolate covered spoon! Who wouldn’t like it?
- What vegetables are the best for making artificial pasta? I really like the spiral-wrapped butternut squash.
- What’s your favorite vegan substitute? Let me tell you something: there are a few vegan cheeses that I really like , especially something from Vtopia or any other fermented cashew situation. I also love nutritional yeast in every savory food imaginable. (If you’ve never eaten nooch, sprinkle it on popcorn and watch your life change.)
- What is your favorite use of coconut oil, cream, or milk? I love coconut milk in cocktails, but I’m pretty much obsessed with this coconut dulce de leche .
- Is there a vegetable “roast” you prefer over fried potatoes? No.
- Have you found some really good gluten-free bread? Pao de Queijo, also known as “Brazilian cheese bread”, is exactly what you need.
- What’s your favorite non-dairy “milk”? Coconut, to be honest.
- Have you tried the egg-free miracle – aquafaba? Chickpea liquid can be used to add lush volume to egg-free desserts or other baked goods. Plus “aquafaba” – it’s funny to say.
- What’s your favorite way to add umami without meat? Our own AA Newton has a lot of great advice here , but I’m a fool for heavily fried mushrooms.
- Have you ever had a vegetarian or vegan meal that was “better than the real”? There is a burrito place next to me, where they make burritos with soy curls that are much better than any of their predatory offerings. I also love the soy curl rice bowl drenched in peanut sauce. Soy curls – a textured soy protein that lends itself well to frying – are very good, that’s what I’m talking about.
Feel free to answer as many or fewer of the above questions as you like and talk about everything even remotely related to our topic. I just want to talk about swaps (variety of food).