What Are You Cooking: What Are You Cooking to Impress?
Hello and welcome back toWhat’s Cooking? , a weekly open thread where you can share your brilliant thoughts, tips, recipes, and opinions on anything edible. This week I want to talk about the food you cook when you want to impress and delight, and get your tips and tricks on how to achieve great success with little effort.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, myprecise Anova cooker has a lot to do with my “impressive dishes”. Ribeye sous-vide, lamb chops and (as of last week) oxtail are all regulars in my repertoire to cook to impress because they are:
- It’s very hard to screw up
- Hands off enough, which means I can focus on a few side dishes while the main chefs cook.
But making sous videos isn’t the only way to make an impressive dinner, and I’m sure you all have great, impressive dishes to prepare whenever you need to earn culinary respect. As always, I have a few questions to start a conversation:
- What protein can you produce better than anyone else on this earth? Are you ready to share your technique?
- What will you take for lunch? Is it a salad, side dish or dessert? (Ironically, I love bringing salad to the group dinner; I make one of the pickled mushrooms, which is great for all tastes.)
- Do you have a habitual “date”?
- Do you guys remember the engagement chicken ? Have you ever had a dish that made you want to propose?
- What dessert can you nail each time?
- Do you have a signature cocktail?
- What’s your favorite brunch dish? Are you doing a mean damn thing?
I am also interested in any fancy electroplating tricks you can use. Coverage is something I just don’t understand