Rest of the Day: Google Announces New Smartphones on October 4th
In just a couple of weeks, on October 4, Google will be holding an event where it is expected to announce two new smartphones that probably won’t wear the Nexus brand. About this and much more in today’s news.
Google has created a controversial event site where you can receive updates via email. The phones are expected to be manufactured by HTC and will be called Pixel X and Pixel XL . See their humble announcement below. [Google]
- In addition to releasing macOS Sierra today, Apple has also updated Pages, Keynote, and Numbers with new features and real-time collaboration capabilities. Real-time collaboration is still in beta, but works the same as Google Docs; multiple users can edit a document on Mac, iCloud.com, or iOS device at the same time. [9to5Mac]
- You can now post Apple Live Photos online thanks to Tumblr. There are already many ways to convert them to GIF, but now Tumblr has built-in support and no conversion is required. Just press and hold to see movement. [Tumblr via Techcrunch]
- Opera’s built-in VPN has finally hit the stable version of the browser. The free VPN previously announced in April is useful, but you have to remember that it is not as secure as a full VPN. [Opera]
- If you’ve been waiting for Instagram’s legendary “save as draft” feature that some users have seen for months, your excitement will soon be over. The latest build of Instagram for Android presents a draft for everyone. I still haven’t seen it on iOS, but it looks like it’s coming soon . [Android Police]
- Microsoft’s new dumb Nokia phone looks cool. 24 days standby time! [Gizmodo]