Rest of the Day: You Can Now Send Messages to the President on Facebook
Do you want to get into President Obama’s DM? Then there is good news for you, because the White House has a new chatbot that allows you to send messages to the president.
- Some messages do get through to the president. Really! He is known to read ten emails every day, and he will now turn on Facebook messages when his employees deem them worthy of his attention. [The White house]
- In other news, the new Macbooks won’t arrive in September as many have assumed. According to Bloomberg, the legacy laptop lineup is indeed being updated with a host of cool new features, including a thin touchscreen strip on the keyboard that will replace the top row of function keys, but they are unlikely to be introduced this fall. Then next year. [Bloomberg]
- The FCC lost a lawsuit in which they fought to allow cities to build their own broadband networks to increase competition among ISPs. A federal appeals court ruled that the FCC has gone beyond its mandate to circumvent state laws regarding the construction of municipal networks. [The Verge]
- Snapchat has been criticized for its new face filter, which looks like an offensive Asian stereotype . They say it was “based on anime” and has already been deleted. This isn’t even the first time the company has been criticized for racial deafness. [Gizmodo]
- Microsoft is reportedly testing a new line of Surface-branded all-in-ones (like the iMac). Windows Central says they are experimenting with several different 4k display sizes, although benchmarks do not guarantee any product will actually ship. [Windows Central via The Verge ]