Rest of the Day: SoundCloud Adds Algorithmic Song Recommendations
SoundCloud has often been a favorite place to find music, but they’ve never had anything but hand-crafted playlists. They now grab a page from Spotify’s extremely popular song suggestions with their own new algorithmic recommendation engine.
- SoundCloud presents featured tracks. These new song recommendations are based on your listening activity across all SoundCloud platforms, so they suggest the best songs for you. You can find it in the new Discovery tab on the Internet. [SoundCloud Blog]
- Speaking of algorithms, how do you feel about Instagram’s new algorithmic timeline? I find it subtle enough that I don’t care, although it is sometimes a little surprising to see things that I know are old at the top of my tape. Elsewhere, some people are less happy. [Gizmodo]
- Talking about Instagram and algorithmically generated recommendations, they add personalized video suggestions to the Browse tab when you feel like you’re mindlessly browsing through some of the channels you haven’t subscribed to yet. [Instagram Blog]
- Snapchat-like face filters are coming to Facebook Live following the acquisition of MSQRD earlier this year . I can’t wait for journalists to have serious political discussions on Facebook Live with cute dog faces. [The Verge]
- ” If you are one of nearly half a million Americans with diesel Volkswagen, you may be eligible for up to $ 7,000 in cash direct from VW , as reported by Automotive News .” [Yalopnik]
- Nintendo 64 turns 20 today. How distinctly I remember that first moment when my older brother and I rushed home from the store (Babbazhes?), We entered Mario 64 and heard: “It’s me, Mario!” [Kotaku]