Rest of the Day: Live Video on Tumblr
Have you heard the good news? Live video came to save the internet and now Tumblr comes into play. But they don’t reinvent the wheel; they partnered with existing video platforms to make it live. And, probably, strange.
- Yes, you can now share live videos on Tumblr. You can post live videos to YouTube, YouKnow, Kanvas, and Upclose, and posts can be reblogged like any other Tumblr post. [Tumblr]
- In other news : Reddit’s own image hosting is now available to everyone (on SFW subreddits). This means you can skip Imgur and just post your bacon narwhal gems right on the site; images can be up to 20MB and GIFs up to 100MB. [Reddit]
- PlayStation Vue, Sony’s online TV service, is now available on Roku, and they are set to launch an Android app next week. [PlayStation Blog]
- Select Vine users can now add 140-second “attachments” to their 6-second clips. The platform suffers from a creative brain drain as popular users, especially those looking to monetize their popularity, move to other platforms. (If Vine is no longer limited to repeating GIF clips, isn’t it just another site you can upload videos to?) Twitter also increases video length to 140 seconds instead of 30 seconds. [The Verge]
- Microsoft is updating its mobile wallet app to support NFC payment features. This means Windows 10 mobile phones like the Lumia lineup can finally take part in the pay-by-touch fanfare. The feature is currently rolling out to Windows Insiders testing out a preview of the software, but should be available to all users later this summer. [Windows Experience Blog]