Only Three Types of Sandpaper You Really Need

When you are working on a woodworking project, you will likely need several types of sandpaper, from coarse sandpaper for rough surfaces to finer sandpaper for finishing. But sandpaper is available in a wide variety of grit sizes, so how do you know which one to buy? Here are just three types you will really need.

Steve Ramsey of Woodworking for Mere Mortals simplifies it down to the three basic toughness you’ll need for the vast majority of your projects: 120 , 80, and 220 .

The 120 grit is his main workhorse for most jobs. The finer the grain, the rougher the paper, so Steve recommends having 80-grit paper handy for more aggressive forming. And, as you’d expect, the finer 220 grit is for finishing and overlaying the project. Watch his video for more sandpaper basics and tips.

Only 3 Sandpaper You Really Need With Popular Mechanics


Leave a Reply