Essential Items to Have in Every Bug Bag
A “bug bag” or emergency bag is something that everyone should have in their home or car (or both). When disaster strikes, you will be glad that you have everything you need to survive, pre-packed and ready to go.
In this video from Business Insider’s YouTube channel , survival expert Tim McVelch, author of How To Survive Anything , shows you everything you need to put in your very own package. Your bag of bugs, in no particular order, should contain:
- Light set of clothes
- Water bottle with built-in filter
- Small first aid kit
- Survival rations
- Space blankets
- Small supply of drinking water (and expandable tanks that can hold more water)
- A pair of durable gloves, goggles and other protective gear.
- Headlight with spare batteries
- Iodine drops for disinfection of wounds and water
- Area map and compass
- Signal whistle and mirror
- Travel hygiene products
- A fire ignition kit that provides several ways to start a fire.
With these items, you should be able to survive most emergencies. A phone charger and radio would be nice too. When it comes to the actual bag you choose, Macwelch recommends using a bag that doesn’t look like a bug. This will save people from trying to steal it in an emergency.