Rest of the Day: Facebook Wants You to Record a Video of Birthdays
Do you like singing birthday greetings to people you haven’t spoken to for many years? Then you’ll love Facebook’s new “birthday camcorder”. Meanwhile, Morgan Freeman lends his voice to Waze, Amazon stops selling hoverboards, and more in today’s news.
- Facebook on iOS is encouraging people to record video messages for your friends instead of the usual “hbd” with a new birthday camcorder. Birthday-themed graphics! Do it for the vine! [The Verge]
- Google is shutting down its financial services comparison site Google Compare . The site was designed to help consumers shop for things like auto insurance and credit cards and will close on March 23rd. [New York Times]
- IOS 9.3 Public Beta 4 is now available to non-developers . As you would expect, the latest release improves the new 9.3 features and fixes some bugs. OS X 10.11.4 Public Beta 4 is also available. [9to5Mac]
- Morgan Freeman’s voice reaches Waze . The actor picks up the phone to talk about your commute to promote a new film. The voiceover has been cast on the character, so in fact Morgan Freeman, as president, is telling you where to turn. [Yahoo]
- Amazon removed all hoverboards from the site . The retailer has apparently given up selling the controversial devices, regardless of brand. Jezebel paid tribute to the touching video. [Jezebel via Mashable ]